Electrical Engineering/Aeroplane + Helicopter Integrated Electro Mechanical Machine
Dear Prof Cleggsan
1. Is it possible to design and manufacture / construct a Integrated Aircraft which can work both as a Aeroplane as well as a Helicopter ?. The machine will have wings as well as rotors. The Pilot will be able to fly either as a Aeroplane as well as a Helicopter.
i.e. The Operations features of both the machines viz Aeroplane and Helicopter will be integrated in a single machine.
2. If possible will it be complex machine to design &
3. Will there will be benefit if both the operation features ar integrate in a single machine ?.
Will Commercial Air carriers like British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, Qatar Airways, Air India, Singapore Airlines etc will employ these Aircraft + Helicopter Dual Model i.e. Integrated Single Machine for Passengers travelling Overseas as well as Domestic / Local ?.
In case not, Where these Aircraft Model will be Useful for Flight Operations ?.
4. The Aircraft Pilot in this model can start the Aircraft i.e. during flight takeoff can work only with one operations mode viz Airplane OR Helicopter. If Airplane Mode is selected, Wings will be adapted or if Helicopter mode is selected Rotors will be adapted for flight operations.
During Landing the Airplane or Helicopter will use the standard mode as per the selected Model during takeoff.
5. As you mentioned "The usual mission of the V-22 is to take off in helicopter mode, transition to aircraft mode (forward flight), arrive at scene and reverse the operation and land vertically".
If the Other Aircraft mode is selected i.e. "Airplane" during flight takeoff operations then as usual the commercial aircraft runs on the runaway to take off then could it be useful ?. Can it be designed to start also in "Airplane" as well as "Helicopter" mode ?.
Once the flight has taken off, during flight operations the Aircraft should also have the capability to Stop in the air (The Helicopter allow this functionality unlike Airplane) for few minutes to hours.
While descending/landing it will descend as usual as a Commercial Aircraft.
If you select the Helicopter Mode during flight takeoff it should work as usual as it was working before as you mentioned.
So this aircraft can be useful for both Military as well as Commercial Airplanes. Isn't it ?.
The cost of manufacturing those Dual Mode Designed aircraft/s will be expensive ?.
Awaiting your reply,
Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
I think you are talking about VTOL or vertical take off and landing aircraft. There has been much talk, much experimentation but not a whole lot of progress in this field. You can learn much from the URLs below. I am not an expert in the category so I offer these sites as a place to find information that will answer your questions.
There are a very many other sites to capture with a couple of google/bing searches.
I hope this helps you find more about this class of air machine.