Electrical Engineering/Relay Switch

Question
QUESTION: I recently asked you a question pertaining to an automotive issue and you were very helpful so I was hoping you could assist me with another electrical issue.

I am trying to maintain some features of my daytime running lights. The two things I want to achieve are
a)lights switch on when car unlocked.
b)lights are always on when engine is running.

I am thinking that this can be accomplished using a relay switch but I need to allow two different sources to switch the relay (one hardwired to the side marker light, and the other wired directly from the alternator). The setup would also need to allow the separate sources to provide current simultaneously and still keep the switch on. Is this possible using a single relay and if not is there an alternative option?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

ANSWER: If I understand your question correctly, you can operate the relay from two different inputs by using two diodes.  Assuming that you have two wires (A and B), with either one or both of them having 12V present when you want the relay coil to be powered: if the coil has a 100 ohms coil, for example, 12V/100 ohms = 0.12A.  So any standard 1A diode  with 50V or higher rating(such as 1N4001, 1N4002, etc.) would be OK. You can probably find them at Radio Shack.  Any coil resistance of 100 ohms or higher is OK.

Connect wire A to the anode of diode 1, connect wire B to the anode of diode B, connect the cathodes of the two diodes together and to one lead of the relay coil.  Connect the other lead of the relay coil to ground.  Then the coil will operate when 12V is present on either of the wires (or both of the wires).

Hope this helps!

Dave

QUESTION: Diodes of course! Would a relay even be necessary if the voltage is already correct? For instance, could the diodes be wired as you have suggested but both cathodes be connected directly to the positive lead of the running light? I assume that the diodes would prevent any issues that may arise from connecting the different leads together and since ground is inherently shared there should be no issues. Is this correct? Would there be any issues with using the lead from a 12v 5w bulb (wire a) and a new lead connected directly to the alternator of the vehicle (wire b)? Also, would I need a diode with a higher resistance than what you have listed?

Answer
The relay allows a lower switching current than the current of the lamp.  You could do it without the relay if the diodes have a sufficient current rating.  If the bulb is 5W, for example, that would be 0.42A, (i.e.  5W / 12V = 0.42A ) but the the starting current is higher, so a 3A diode would be needed.  If the power of the lamp is not 5W, use a 5 times factor to select a current rating for the diodes.

I don't understand your alternator question.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Electrical Engineering

Dave Nyce