Electrical Engineering/Detergent Powder feed mechanism in Automatic Washing machine.

Question
Dear Prof Cleggsan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing_machine

Is the Detergent / Bleach or Washing powder feed mechanism also
automated in Automatic washing machine ?.

As a example 2 kg or 1 kg or 500 gm Detergent powder is feed and kept in the Washing machine box. The consumer can select the number of detergent powder Tablespoons i.e.  1 or 2 or 3 etc to be feed for the washing purpose by selecting the Input Number button on the washing machine.

Or

The Washing machine intelligently feeds the amount of detergent powder required for washing depending upon the total number of clothes inside the machine.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
I am not an expert in this field.

I have not seen any commercial or consumer product with this feature.  However, their are many, many commercial machines with automatic features that are used in hotels, hospitals, infirmaries and so on which may very well have these features but I am not familiar with that market.

This URL shows such automation but it is just a google search. I know nothing about this type of machine but if you read down the description page you will find it is programmable to feed detergents and such:

http://www.continentalgirbau.com/opl/commercial-washers-lseries.html

Food for thought.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan