Electrical Engineering/Fuel Dispenser Machine USB interfacing with Computer.

Question
Fuel Dispenser Machine
Fuel Dispenser Machine  
QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dispenser‎

A fuel dispenser is a machine at a filling station that is used to pump gasoline, diesel, CNG, CGH2, HCNG, LPG, LH2, ethanol fuel, biofuels like biodiesel, kerosene, or other types of fuel into vehicles.

Do you feel a Software application designed and developed can be also useful to the Fuel dispenser person (who fills up fuels) in
the vehicles to keep track of customers, How much fuel consumed and utilized, entering the vehicle number, vehicle type (two wheeler, four wheeler etc) ?. This software will be developed for Petrol Pumps stations.

i.e. Interfacing the Fuel dispenser machine with a USB Interface to the Computer. The Computer software will detect the USB Fuel Dispenser machine similar to a USB Camera, USB Printer, USB Scanner etc.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: In the USA and many other countries I have visited already have much automation and record keeping in this area.

I am not sure how your proposal would be implemented. If it requires modification to the pumping station it could be an expensive change to the installed base of machinery. If it involves adding a USB connection to the car there may be a safety issue involved as any small electrical spark when the USB cable is attached could cause fire or explosions.  

Not sure what the software would track and how it would be distributed and used.  Question is for what purpose does this concept fulfill? And is the cost and hassle factors present a huge burden to its possible contribution to either the enterprise or the customer?  

I am still thinking it through but don't come up with anything that strikes up a successful product implementation.....  I'll keep thinking.  

Good Day!

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thank you.

Do you feel Credit / Debit Card Machine should always be available at all petrol filling stations for the customer as a choice of payment other than cash to fill fuel in their vehicles ?.

The Software application will automatically fill up the details captured by the fuel dispenser machine viz Fuel consumed/purchased/utilized viz gasoline, petrol,diesel etc, Charges to be paid by the customer, Name of the Fuel dispenser person etc as it is interfaced by the USB Cable with the Fuel Dispenser machine.  

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
In USA and Japan and many countries of Europe which I have personally traveled these features are already in place and payment is made by inserting the card and going through an automated authorizing procedure.  Attendant is not needed.  It is old technology in the usa where they still use cards with magnetic strip on the back. In Japan they mostly use the chip card which does not require physical reading and can be done by just swiping the card near the reader.

I don't know about India; you can learn that by yourself, maybe.

Good Luck.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan