Electrical Engineering/volt amps vs amp output ratings

Question
I am looking for a transformer that has an variable output voltage of 0-24 Volts and a max output amp rating of 3 - 5 amps. Of course, I don't know if I would be able to get exact but I am looking in these ranges.

Many hobby transformers (like for trains) state the DC & AC voltage output and is variable since the lever controls the speed of the train. Theses transformers seem to have a VA rating also, or volt-amp.

Other transformers, for example like the one I plug into the wall for my outlet for my computer modem has an 5.5 DC V output and 2.2 Amp output rating and does not use the VA rating.

Battery chargers are transformer which are rated for Amp output.

I am interested in a hobby train transformer for my project, because the variable voltage regulator and the fact they are found easy on eBay at low price.  However, the VA output is confusing me and I don't want to buy something that cant achieve the 3-5 amp current.

I know the amp or current is dependent on the resistance, which in my project will be water properties plus sea salt quality added for conductivity.

What is the difference between a VA (volt-amp) rating on a transformer vs one that states the A (amperage) output?

Would a toy train transformer be able to put out a 3-5 amp current like a battery charger (assuming both have 110 AC input) and the salt-water bath solution is providing the conductivity?

Why do the train transformer use VA output ratings instead of amp output ratings like other transformers on the market?

Thank you,
MR

Answer
For an AC or DC circuit having a resistive load, power in watts is equal to the voltage multiplied by the current.  In AC circuits that may have capacitance or inductance (i.e. not only resistive), it makes more sense to specify volt-amps, which is also the voltage multiplied by the current.  But in capacitive or inductive circuits, the peak voltage does not occur at the same time as the peak current, so VA is not the same as watts.

In your case, the load is inductive (a motor).  The lever on the transformer controls the voltage.  So for example, if the maximum voltage is 24V and maximum current rating is 5A, that is 120VA.  If you lower the voltage to 10V by moving the lever, the transformer can likely still provide the same 5A current capability so 10V x 5A = 50 VA but the motor will probably draw less current at this lower voltage).

DC power supplies will usually state the voltage (regulated or non-regulated) and also the maximum current that can be drawn.  In DC circuits, there is no power dissipated in capacitances or inductances, other than for a few milliseconds when first turned on, so no VA rating is given.  So for a DC supply, you can multiply the DC voltage by the current to get the watts of power that can be supplied.

Hope this helps!

Dave  

Electrical Engineering

Dave Nyce