Electrical Engineering/Flute Musical Instrument Construction Modification.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flute

Can the Flute Musical Instrument Modified in Construction produce sound if you hold the flute from both sides ?.
i.e. if Symmetrical Geometrical flute is constructed on both the sides then it can produce sound ?.

i.e. Currently if you hold the flute in one side, it can produce sound, but if you hold the flute from the other side, it will not produce sound.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

right and left flute
right and left flute  
ANSWER: There are both right handed and left handed flutes available.  There are courses taught for both orientations of the musical flute.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thank you.

Can we derive some Flute Musical Instrument Laws for the same ?.

Law 1 : Flute can generate sound only from one direction because of the following reason .......

Law 2 : Flute cannot generate sound from the other direction because of the following reason ......

Law 3 : Sound generation is possible from both the sises if we redesign a symmetrical flute because of the
following reason .....

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Could you clarify what you mean?

The right handed flute can be played either direction if the player is skilled enough. But, most players who are left handed like the flute or piccolo that is made with the mirror image of the finger movements; therefore the finger chart would be different.

But even with the mouthpiece being different in design does not hinder it from being able to produce a sound; the skill and practice of the player may be in question but the principles of flute playing does not really change significantly.

But the physics and acoustical structure of the instruments are quite universal.

I think most left handed players actually use a right handed flute but just learn to use it the either way.

Did I miss your intention?  I am not understanding what you want to learn.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thank you.

The Advantage of this Symmetrical Flute design would be the Single Flute can be shared between two persons. For example : Father and Son. i.e. A Single Musical instrument shared between two persons.

The Flute length is extended say to 7 feet long. The Flute is hold by Father from one side and son is holding from the other side.

When the father generates sound from one flute side, the son from the other flute side will keep the flute away from his mouth and when the son generates sound from one flute side, the father from the other flute side will keep the flute away from his mouth.

Similar to Flute Musical Instrument, there can be many other musical instruments which can be re engineered to be created a Symmetrical shape.

For example : Trumpet can be made symmetrical shape so that from both ends
sound can be generated ?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumpet

Can the Trumpet re engineered to have a Symmetrical design where the sound can be generated from both sides ?.

A Single Trumpet instrument being shared by two people.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
As before, yes, the symmetrical instrument can be designed and manufactured but I am not seeing any advantage in doing so.  Why would a team of players want to play one connected instrument at great cost and compromised sound quality when at a lower cost they can just play two separate instruments.  Father plays one and son or daughter, for example, plays the other.

So, I don't see any advantage in having one instrument shared by two players.  And, as above, such an instrument while clearly possible to manufacture would be of lesser sound quality due to the constraints of the connection of the sound producing elements of the intricacies of the resonating parts.

Wishing you the best.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan