Electrical Engineering/Adhesive used in bonding the copper foil to a substrate

Question
substrate with copper foil
substrate with copper  
Hello Cleggsan,

How are you? I hope this message finds you well. I am wondering if I could ask you a question about the type of adhesive commonly used to bond copper foil to a substrate when making a pcb.
I have a project where I want to place a copper foil on top of a substrate. Before this step, thru holes have been made in the substrate. I want to fill the thru holes with conductive paste to create a conductive connection between the paste in the thru hole and the copper layer on top of the substrate, as shown in the attached image. My question is regarding the adhesive used to bond the copper foil to the substrate. I am ignorant of the properties of this adhesive and the likely effect it will have on the success of making a conductive link between the foil and the paste.
Can you tell me about the adhesive usually used to bond a foil to a substrate? Is it typically conductive? Would I have to use a specific adhesive to attach the foil to the substrate, and if so would this be likely to limit the thickness of the adhesive layer between the board and the foil?

As always, I appreciate your help.
Arigato,
Eddie

Answer
Printed boards are usually assembled in a factory environment where the bonding is carefully controlled using bonding chemicals, heat curing tanks and so forth.

You can purchase boards already for prototyping from many, many places.  You should visit Ahki Abara in Tokyo where you can see many for sale right on the spot.

http://www.jameco.com/1/3/blank-circuit-boards-prototyping-systems

Also, there are many prototype manufacturing firms that will take your requirements and produce a few samples for a very low price. You can google for them in Japan.

Here is an overview of PC board technology and use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board

Bonding agents used are found here if you really want to build your own:

http://www.masterbond.com/industries/glob-top-epoxies?gclid=CKyn3YS33r4CFZFufgod

However, printed board applications are broad and diverse.  There are multi-layer boards and internal circuit structures that work with the circuitry mounted on either the top or bottom or in between the laminations.  They are made of a very many materials - which require different types of bonding and etching processes.  Conductive eyelets and pass throughs are easily integrated into the board.  Any good fab house can help you with prototypes as they do these things all the time.

Hope this will get you started.  Let me know if you need more guidance.

Sayonara  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan