Electrical Engineering/Railway signals control system.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_signal

In cases where specific railway signals are not working on the railway tracks, is it possible for the motorman or train driver getting automatic alarms inside the train ?.

Can a electronic panel and a signal control system be designed within the train cabin to the motorman indicating railway signals strategic locations and signal status (red,green,orange) displayed as a map at a distance say 1 or 1/2 km before the train approaches a railway signal ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Such a scheme as you outlined is certainly possible from a purely technical point of view but I do not know if such systems have been implemented in any rail systems throughout the world.

I am not an expert in this field of transportation.

Best wishes.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thanks.

Can i get inputs, views and opinion from your end regarding the pros
and cons if such a system is integrated within the train cabin to the motorman ?.

Examples :

The railways signals positioned at strategic locations near the railway tracks can be completely or partially eliminated if such a system is built ?

The motorman will have a better control of train operations ?.

The cost of building and implementing these systems will be not a significant amount ?.

These systems if implemented will better for Long distance trains as compared to short distance Local trains transport or vice versa ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
I am going to pass on this question. I just don't have enough expertise in this area of transportation.

My sense is the implementation of your proposed idea would be quite costly.  Most public transportation systems are highly regulated and all systems have met rigorous submission to governing boards for approval and compliance. Introducing a new detection and transmission scheme may be a difficult and time consuming matter for an enterprise to achieve.  Also, train transportation is a very old system based on mixed technology gathered and modified over years of usage and updates making it quite difficult for a new entry in the business climate to get fast traction unless the idea is more breathtaking than the usual small, incremental improvements they see coming at them almost daily, it would seem.

Wish I had a better idea for you.  Sorry.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan