Electrical Engineering/Electric bicycle racing.

Dear Prof Cleggsan

Do you recommend electric bicycle racing in the future Olympic games?.

Well, I have to stretch my thinking to decide if this question is really within the field of electrical engineering.   Therefore, I am replying from the engineering perspective.

I do not recommend competitive racing of electric bicycles.  Doing so places too much emphasis on the electrical and mechanical aspects of the bicycle and lessens the effective result of the rider.  Therefore, racing would be more vehicle related and less the physical abilities of the racing athlete.

There may be a need for very carefully crafted design bicycle design guides so as to make the field more equal among athlete riders; but that would also yield racers who depended more and more upon the machine rather than their own physical prowess.

Thus, I am not in favor of electric bicycle racing in future Olympic games.  

Electrical Engineering

All technical areas of Electronics Engineering.

BSEE, MBA, Design, R&D, University Research.
Senior Life Member of IEEE. Life Fellow of AES.

IEEE, Consumer Electronics Society, Audio Engineering Society.
Broad teaching experience; work experience mostly in consumer electronics and conversion from analog to digital technologies. Pioneer in digital audio at all levels.

BSEE (Equiv) BYU BSEE University of North Dakota MSBA (MBA) Illinois State University Graduate Studies in Computer Science - Bradley University Graduate Studies - Ohio University Graduate Studies - University of Missouri Kansas City DeVry Tech - Electronics