Electrical Engineering/Phone Call Voice Recognition Ability.

Question
Dear Prof Cleggsan

Do the Phone call voice recognition ability varies from person to person ?.

The phone calls received by the person from the calling party has not met the caller face to face.

Example :

John and Dale are phone Caller parties and Peter is receiving phone calls.

1 The Caller party name is John for the first time. He calls up Peter and says "Hi, I am John, I would like to speak to Michael". Peter transfers the phone call to Michael.

2 The Caller party name is Dale for the first time. He calls up Peter and says "Hi, I am Dale, I would like to speak to Michael". Peter transfers the phone call to Michael.

Now after few days, John and Dale again make phone calls, but on phone they do the following conversation. The conversation is as follows.

1 The Caller party name is John. He calls up Peter and says "Hi, I would like to speak to Michael". Will Peter able to recognize the voice of John and without asking John transfers the Line to Michael saying that John is on Phone ?.

2 The Caller party name is Dale. He calls up Peter and says "Hi, I would like to speak to Michael". Will Peter able to recognize the voice of Dale and without asking John transfers the Line to Michael saying that Dale is on Phone ?.

Do the Phone call voice recognition ability will vary from person to person ?. i.e. Peter or somebody who is picking up phone calls. If yes, what are the reasons ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
I think you are asking if today's voice recognition can not only recognize what is being said but identify the voice.

Many of the banks, stock market funding companies and financial companies are now using voice identification to verify it is you when accessing the account.  The voice of the account holder is first identified and assigned as the voice then thereafter the voice is used to identify the account holder.

Using voice recognition for verification, identity and authentication is now a growing field and as recognition algorithms improve I think your scenario could become plausible.

Hope this helps.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan