Electrical Engineering/3D Movies in home Theatre systems

Question
Dear Prof cleggsan

Is it possible to watch 3D Movies
in home Theatre systems Using special
Glasses?.

Thanks & Regards
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Most home or surround sound systems that offer 3d capability are for playing Blue Ray DVD movies encoded for 3D playback.

The Blue Ray consortium wrote specifications for the dvd makers and tv systems to comply with the technical standard thus making a 3d business.

All tv retailers in USA offer a percentage of their tv sets with 3d feature. Of course, they cost more money and are not so popular yet.

If you want to study them I suggest you got to amazon.com  and bestbuy.com for looking at commercial items for sale and being enjoyed by consumers already.  Amazon.in does not support tv products I think, so you must look at amazon.com or amazon.co.uk where you will find so many offerings.

If you were thinking about downloading in realtime 3d movies by broadcasting that is difficult matter as not much going on that way and results have not been satisfying, yet.

There are good wiki pages on this matter as well; maybe you have already looked at them for starters.

Let me know if there are more questions, Sir.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan