Electrical Engineering/Life on Mars planet.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

If Mars planet exploration predicts life
existence for Human species survival, Will future Generations may migrate to Mars planet?.

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: It's a rhetorical question.  It is quite impossible for me to predict - as smart as I am!!!

I have question for you?

- Why would there be a need to migrate extra-terrestrially?
- Why not some other planet? Or even the moon?
- Why do we need an earth-like sphere?  Perhaps human life can be made to adapt to other environments that are not earth-like.
- Why not populate great barrens that exist on the earth now? Or learn to populate the oceans - which cover 2/3rds of the surface of the earth.

However, in conclusions I doubt seriously the migration of Mars would take place in the near future due to our lack of sufficient motive power getting people and  building materials to the surface of Mars.  Let's say it is hundreds of years away if ever.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Thanks.

This could be a Science fiction story?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
It is all fiction to me - and I follow these developments fairly closely as reported in engineering journals and popular press.

When I was an elementary student it was predicted by scientist of the day that we would be using helicopters for local commuting by the year 1965!  That was pseudo science of the day!

We like to look into the future but so many who are doing it are just considering the glossy part of the matters at hand and not the deep, deep practical considerations and hurdles that must be overcome.  It's a long ways to Mars. A 140 million miles is all! How long does it take to get to Mars?  With current travel capabilities maybe 1/2 to one year!  At the speed of light?

"Mars is so far away in fact that it takes radio signals quite a long time to get from the spacecraft back to Earth. During Curiosity EDL, this delay will be 13 minutes, 48 seconds, about mid-way between the minimum delay of around 4 minutes and the maximum of around 24 minutes.

This makes it a challenge to operate Mars Express because it's hard to have a conversation with the spacecraft, or react if anything happens on board. If there is a problem and the spacecraft tells us, we won't know for 13 minutes, and then even if we react straight away it'll be another 13 minutes before our instructions get back to Mars there's a lot that can happen in half an hour at Mars (for example a whole Curiosity landing)"

The above from: http://blogs.esa.int/mex/2012/08/05/time-delay-between-mars-and-earth/

So, in my mind, travel to Mars by human emigrants is just fiction - for now.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan