Electrical Engineering/Marble flooring in airports runways.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Is marble flooring allowed on Airports runways?.

ANSWER: I am not an expert in this area.  I took some time to google around and found no evidence that marble is used in the composition of a runway.

On the contrary, marble is used extensively in hallways and walkways of the terminal area of airport facilities.

Most surfaces for the actual runway are made of concrete and asphalt. These materials may have some small percentage of ground up rocks and marble but I don't think that is what you are asking about.

Let me know if you have further questions that I can respond to - even though this is not my area of expertise.

QUESTION: Dear Prof Cleggsan

Will marble flooring for runways be not recommended from
the cost point of view Or Security regarding plane landing or departure?.

From the cost and difficulty of composing the vast size of the surface.  Also, it seems to me the surface may actually be too slick thus requiring a burnishing or scoring applied to the surface to produce the correct surface friction characteristics.  Strength or shear of the marble material would be an important matter as well.  Probably a great thickness might be required in order to handle the impact load of airplanes when landing.

If the marble surface were to break up during the landing of heavy aircraft there may be personal injury lawsuits toward the maker of the surface and the airline from the traveling passengers.

Hope this helps.  

Electrical Engineering

All technical areas of Electronics Engineering.

BSEE, MBA, Design, R&D, University Research.
Senior Life Member of IEEE. Life Fellow of AES.

IEEE, Consumer Electronics Society, Audio Engineering Society.
Broad teaching experience; work experience mostly in consumer electronics and conversion from analog to digital technologies. Pioneer in digital audio at all levels.

BSEE (Equiv) BYU BSEE University of North Dakota MSBA (MBA) Illinois State University Graduate Studies in Computer Science - Bradley University Graduate Studies - Ohio University Graduate Studies - University of Missouri Kansas City DeVry Tech - Electronics