Electrical Engineering/Memory cards replacing RAM modules.

Question
Dear Prof Cleggsan

Is it possible to replace RAM modules and cache memory with Memory cards in the motherboard?.

If not, Could there be advantages in motherboard Design changes implementation?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
I think it could be done but why would one want to do it?

For smooth trade over to memory card to do the RAM function would require engineering change.  I see no advantage in doing so.

However, I think you could use Memory Card to augment RAM where RAM is already present in the PC. USB storage devices can also be used to augment RAM SIMMS.

But, you should be asking this question to the PC makers who struggle with these questions everyday in an attempt to make their products cheaper, faster, more reliable, etc.  

Electrical Engineering

cleggsan