Electrical Engineering/USB Flash Device as Backup media on Servers.

Dear Prof Cleggsan

Can USB Flash Device be considered as a Reliable backup media for Servers replacing the DVD/CDROM?.

Yes, folks have been using flash drives for backup ever since they become popular and inexpensive.  Further the data is easily carried in ones pocket.

But, now days, it is common to have more than one backup method; redundancy is desirable for security and safety.  So, many users will back up on flash memory and on the cloud and maybe one other media such as disk or tape.  In my own case I have a second laptop which is secure and in a safe hiding place which contains full back up of certain important files that are needed in case of failures on the Internet.  

Electrical Engineering

All technical areas of Electronics Engineering.

BSEE, MBA, Design, R&D, University Research.
Senior Life Member of IEEE. Life Fellow of AES.

IEEE, Consumer Electronics Society, Audio Engineering Society.
Broad teaching experience; work experience mostly in consumer electronics and conversion from analog to digital technologies. Pioneer in digital audio at all levels.

BSEE (Equiv) BYU BSEE University of North Dakota MSBA (MBA) Illinois State University Graduate Studies in Computer Science - Bradley University Graduate Studies - Ohio University Graduate Studies - University of Missouri Kansas City DeVry Tech - Electronics