Electrical Wiring in the Home/Commercial outlets--spray painting

Another Landlord wrote at 2008-10-28 18:32:15
The above notwithstanding, your personal color preference is no reason to permanently change what the landlord has installed.  You were given something that was brand new, and will leave it in a condition such that it can never be returned to what it was.  I don't blame the landlord one bit for being ticked off.

Also, while it may be rare, painted outlets do represent a fire hazard.  You have introduced an element--paint--into an electrical circuit which can melt or otherwise interfere with the proper flow of electricity.  You may have thought it would be no problem to paint your outlets, but if you're the one-in-a-million person who dies in a fire, it's the landlord's butt on the line.  Your rent goes (or should go) to make sure that he provides you with a safe living space... help him do his job.

sirrah wrote at 2012-11-28 21:44:22
Fire hazzard YES, I just replace one that shorted and burned.It was painted over twice and had dried for a year.

I assume that paint build up caused poor contact and an arc that burned the paint.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Ivan Ramirez

I am a good communicator and often I am tasked with translating the technical electrical wording to something a customer can understand. Hopefully I can accomplish this in this forum also. I will work hard at giving you a practical answer that you can use to solve or answer you question. I will try to avoid the obligatory 'call an electrician' answer, but sometimes that is really the only thing that can solve the problem. And while I don't discourage people from attempting to solve an electrical problem; everyone should know that mistakes in wiring can have deadly consequences. Therefore, you can always help me by giving me an idea of your skill level since I will always aim to err on the side of caution.

I am a third generation electrician wiht 14 years experience. I have worked my whole life in Dallas Texas. I graduated cum laude from the University of Texas at Arlington with a bachelor of science. I have worked in residential and commercial settings and I often interact with customers and coordinate other electricians. I currently work as an electrical estimator.

master electrician licence certified by southern building code congress international. BS in biology minor in math from university of texas at arlington

graduated cum laude U. texas arlinton