Electrical Wiring in the Home/trying to add a chandelier light off of recessed lights

Question

Can Light
Hi there,

I have a 3 way switch that is currently controlling 4 recessed lights in my living room.  I want to run an additional fixture off of one of the can lights so that I can put a chandelier over my dining table.

The chandelier space is about 2 ft from the light I want to run off of it.

I have a picture of the light, the recessed portion of the lighting, and the information on the inside of the fixture attached.

If it matters the light fixture that I want to add is from zgallerie and is sku# 022055433

Ok, so, what I'm thinking of doing is pushing the can fixture up out of the way and running wires off of it and over to where I want to put the chandelier.  I was hoping to make a small hole in the ceiling for the chandelier, and put a stableizing rod into the hole to support the small weight of the chandelier.  

Does this look like it is doable, and would this be the reccomended way to do it?  If so, can you help me out as to how to run a wire off of the can light?  Maybe point me to instructions on doing such a thing?

I've never done electric work other than switching out wall sockets, and light fixtures.

I appreciate any advice I can get.

THANKS!  

Answer
you are on the right track.  you will see some small screws on the upper portion of the can and you can remove that part to get to the junction box with the house wires.  you do not want to tie on to the small lamp wires.  from there you can fish the wires to the location of the chandelier.  if the chandelier is a bit heavy, you use a fan box installation kit that has a brace that goes between the studs.  from there you install the fixture.  good luck
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Ivan Ramirez