Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring a rotary switch

Bruce wrote at 2012-12-30 03:14:44
Reference to the question of the three wire rotary switch found on older floor lamps. I just did a similiar project and couldn't find the correct method of writing the three lamps. The switch has three wires on it, mine had a black one to the right, red in center, and black to the left. After trial and error,I found that all lamp bulbs must be connected to the source neutral side, the left black wire connects directly to one lamp bulb, the right black wire connects to the other two hot wires on the lamp bulbs. The center red wire connects directly to the Positive side of the source wire. Wire nut all connections over wrap with electricians tape if desired, replace cover, put lamp in bulbs, viola, light! If there is a top center lamp over the torchierre lights, wire that switch directly to the Positive and Neutral wires respectively before wire nuts are in place. Hope this helps.  

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle