Electrical Wiring in the Home/Odd Old Outlet

John wrote at 2011-07-19 07:33:03
This outlet was used for 1930's and 1940's radios. the 2 prongs of this outlet provided the connections for the aerial and ground. one of the wires inside the wall goes to a water pipe, the other to an aerial antenna, probably in the attic. These do showe up periodically in older homes here in the Los Angeles area. If you ever remove it from service, I collect them.

Randy wrote at 2013-07-07 15:03:45
This is an old "radio" outlet, where you would connect the aerial from your radio. This, at least at one time, tied into an antenna someplace (rooftop, attic, etc.)

This thread has further pictures and discussion about a similar outlet

http://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/202666/Radio_O

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle