Electrical Wiring in the Home/3 phase motor on houshold 220v

I have a Doerr Electric motor Model LR22132, 3phase, 2hp, 3450 rpm, 5.6 amp.  Can I use this on regular household electric?  Can it be rewired to accept regular 220v single phase supply and will it damage the motor.  It is used in conjunction with an automotive lift.

You can't use it on regular house current with out modification and the motor itself can't be rewired economically lets put it that way. There is a device called a "static phase converter" where you can run a given 3 phase motor on single phase using this device which artificially creates the third "phase leg". Static converters work well with 3 phase motors that don't have to produce a lot of starting "torque".
Other wise you would need a "rotary phase converter" that actually uses a 3 phase motor along with capacitors to create the artificial 3rd "phase leg". You would have to read the literature on these devices to determine which one would be best for your situation. They come in different sizes. The static converter is simpler and the cheapest way of doing it than the rotary version so hopefully that will work for you. The other option is getting a single phase motor. I don't know how easy or hard it may be to change the motor or if changing the motor would actually be cheaper than doing the converter. You need to look at these options and decide which one is the best in terms of cost and execution. Check out "Phase a Matic" on the web.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.