Electrical Wiring in the Home/ampers at boxes / ampers at light sockets

Question
amperes vary from one box to the other ,same with the light sockets...all are on 20 amp single pole GE breakers. what  would cause change ? also light socket in living room is showing low volts when wall switch is off...

Answer
First Bruce,     amps are a RESULT,    be it inductive or resistive, the amps are a result of the voltage into the electrical load,

How are you measuring the AC amps?  With a clamp on amp meter?

I would expect amps to change from box to box dependent on the load connected,  

If you are measuring amps flowing to an open box,  with no load,   something is really not right

It is GREAT you are paying attention and looking into this,    my house  I have a line conditioner and it has a voltage display right on the front,     it is not unusual for the utility company to provide  say   on the 115 side    112 volts to 121 volts, depending on time of year, and time of day,  outside temp,   lots of ac running,  that kind of thing,  

I have also measured voltages for people at their homes  especially if they have some small garage shop,    one I found 141 volts at the outlet,!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked the owner "you have light bulbs that go out real often?"      his answer was yes,   I said "how often"       hell he was replacing light bulbs once a month,  

The utility needed to come out ant tap down the incoming voltage,      it should be in most areas of the US   general   very general,      120/240  is the newer standard  and the open circuit voltage should be a tolerance of no more plus or minus 10 percent,  

What I am not understanding about your problem is one box to the next has different amperes      they should have different amperes,    depending on load,     so you need to help me out with that,    

Now the light socket, in the living room  I am assuming you are measuring a fixed light fixture,    you are measuring from the inside to outside of the socket itself,    when the switch is on,   you get  X voltage,   when you flip the light switch off, you still have volts   and you should not, have any    

the switch leg to the socket should be nothing but the hot lead ran to the switch, and back up to the socket,     it just cuts that hot black wire off or on,  no more,  no less,     so something is feeding back,   

Never trust the guy or gal before you to have done ANYTHING CORRECTLY,   

I(s this a new issue or are you just doing the right thing and checking each switch and outlet,  which most do not,  but should?

In other words do we have a new problem or just one that you discovered?

Again it is GREAT YOU BROUGHT THIS UP,     MOST ASSUME ALL IS WELL  IN THEIR ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS AND OFTEN THEY ARE NOT WELL AT ALL,     AS YOU ARE FINDING,   SO YOUR QUESTION MIGHT GET SOME ATTENTION AND GET SOME PEOPLE TO HAVE THEIR SYSTEMS CHECKED,   

hOW IS YOUR GROUNDING ROD OR GROUNDING SYSTEM?  with the very dry weather a lot of older style ground rods are not tight in the ground,    this is a problem,      

From here you need to follow this site step by step:

http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/

That is a great site,  read over it,  and get the idea where he is coming from,   how he starts the diagnostic process,      it makes things so much easier,     then go to the section that pertains to your specific problem,    say the low voltage present when the switch is off,at your living room     see the Troubleshooting diagram,     first thing to look at if a switch is off, and voltage is still there but low,     BAD SWITCH  not opening or carbon track       take off the cover,    kill the breaker,  put the two switch leads together,  measure the voltage,     then take the two leads apart  one wire nut on each   measure at the socket,  if voltage is still there,  it is NOT the switch,      now we have to what is back feeding that low voltage to that living room fixture,      on and on,    

If you just get a general overview of his diagnostic methods and charts,    then go specific   you will find a lot,   

My shop is MEAR Services Inc  in Kansas City Missouri,   or Buckner Missouri,   repair@mearservice.com or if you run into a real jam   phone number is 816-650-4030   glad to talk you through on the phone if possible,   also the Cir Detective is very generous with his help   and you can contact him as you go through all the issue but most of ALL  GOOD FOR YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO CHECK THINGS OUT         

I just had a house fire,   can you imagine,    ??  I check voltages  amps, loads,  more than most anyone,       a damn cheap cord on a coffee maker  the inside insulation between the two conductors   failed,    when it did,  it was a short circuit and that caused the amps from the whole grid to want to flow to that spot,          why did the breaker not trip?   Time,  it happened so fast the breaker could not react fast enough,  and when the insulation failed,  it was like a tiny welder,      shot hot balls of molten copper all over  found a kitchen towel and the rest is a living nightmare,      cancelled insurance,  [even though I was in no way at fault]  we are still not in our house,    fighting with the insurance company,    it has been nearly a year January 4 of this year,  so in a few months one year anniversary,   I would also advise that you check your insurance,     ask questions now, about coverage, and if you don't understand one word of what they are saying,  get a lawyer to read it,  the cost of the lawyer will be NOTHING compared to what happens if you have a fire claim,   people loose their houses,  no one will insure you,     it is awful,   the lobby for insurance is so big,   we consumers are screwed and screwed bad,       the premiums for insurance now are 7 times what they were and less coverage,      we have been punished,   and did nothing,       so beware and do what you are doing    be proactive      not only with the hardware as you are doing but with insurance.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED   THIS IS GOING TO COST ME 10S OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS   SO  TAKE MY ADVICE          MY PERSONAL EMAIL IS wbwill@sbcglobal.net,      if you need a quick way to get to me,      and if there are any Missouri advocates or lawyers feel free,    this FAIRPLAN provided by the state for no insurance situations is a freaking joke,     so good for you,       find your problems and if you need help   call an electrician,     but get it fixed,         let me know how you get along,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt