Electrical Wiring in the Home/Bulb wattage for a floor lamp

I recently inherited a beautiful, older (1980s I think) La Bella floor lamp from my parents. I have looked high and low on the lamp for a max watts label and can't find it. I also tried to look it up on the web and can't find it there either, too old I'm guessing. It has an old 75w bulb in it.

The only thing I found was on the bottom of a floor on/off switch that is wired to the lamp, which had the following symbols on it:

Portable lamp
A.M. 5136

and a few others I can't read or decipher.  I'd like to use a 100 or 150 in it. Anyway to figure out what it can handle?

Hi Ellen,

Interesting question. The bulb wattage is for fire safety. I would look at the fixture's construction if it is not labeled. Is the socket ceramic or plastic? If you socket is ceramic I think you will be OK with the higher wattage. To be safe you could look for an LED or CLF bulb. These types of bulbs do not get as hot. You can safely have a higher light output without the fire issues standard bulb present.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.