Electrical Wiring in the Home/dryer melting prong

Advertisement


Question
Hi, i have a kenmore dryer that melted one(left) prong on  3 prong cord. I replaced dryer cord but that same prong is still hotter than the rest my question is...Could it be the dryer or 220 receptacle? Or something elecrical?? I had a washer that was leaking so possible moisture got to receptacle, not sure. The 220 is slightly melted plastic only. Thank u

Answer
Four things need to be checked:

1. The outlet connections (both the socket and the connections on the back).
2. The connections from the cord at the dryer (theres a little access plate).
3. The connections at the breaker.

A loose connection at any one of these three locations can cause your problem.

4. You want to have the amp draw, and voltage tested to make sure the dryer is working correctly.

It is potentially a fire hazard so you want to get it checked out asap.

This is high voltage so I recommend calling an electrician do this work.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Greg Hughes

Expertise

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

Experience

34 years of experience.

Education/Credentials
Both college and tech schools in this field.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.