Electrical Wiring in the Home/generator power to house

Question
My old generator had a 20 amp outlet and the electrician who wired my house wired the cord for 20 amp.

My question is, my new generator only has a 30 amp outlet. Can I make or buy a cord that plugs into the 30 amp outlet on the generator and into the 20 amp (male) connector on the house?

Or do I need an electrician to completely re-wire the connection to my house for 30 amp?

Thanks!

Answer
Mark,

Sorry for the slow response but very busy with storm damage and generators here in Jersey.

The best thing to do is upgrade the line going into the house to match the 30 amp output of the generator. I don't know how your electrician wired the 20 amp line going into the house there fore I can't say if it would be OK to do a simple 30 amp to 20 amp plug conversion. The problem being the 30 amp line can put more current on the 20 amp line than it can handle unless the 20 amp line is protected by a 20 amp fuse or circuit breaker before it enters the panel. This is the correct way to do it in that scenario but it also limits the maximum amount of current your generator is capable of delivering to your house panel. Depending upon the size of your generator and your power needs it may or may not be a factor for you. In other words a 5500 watt generator puts out a little over 20 amps but its enough that the generator has a 30 amp plug on it. Do you need to upgrade the line for an exra 2 amps ? or you could have a 7000 watt generator that puts out 29 amps. Is it worth it to upgrade the line for the extra 9 amps ? Again it depends upon your load needs. Obviously more is better. So if you need it or just want the extra capability then upgrade the line.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman