Electrical Wiring in the Home/Popping sound from wall outlet

Hi, I hear a popping sound from an outlet...very sporadic but looked on-line and saw similar posts and they suggested to turn off the main power(breaker) to that outlet...which i did...but i still hear the sound coming from outlet. House is less than 3 years old...any suggestions?

Jerrod this is a tough one,   popping sounds from an outlet usually indicate some kind of loose connection and the POP is really an arc,       so shutting it down is prudent,    but it should be on a string of outlets,       so it should have shut down several outlets       

But the popping continues,    and the problem with sound is it is very hard for humans to determine where sounds come from,    lower frequency sounds like you would get from a sub speaker are so low   that they should NOT be detectable as far as where they come from,   

Is anything electrical going on in your home?   Anything at all?

The popping sound could be anything,  maybe a pipe,  maybe even some sort of animal that found a way in,  but if it is constant and the same, it is likely not an animal,

About all you can do now, is make sure the breaker is off to that outlet,    plug a known lamp in and if it does not light,  then it is dead,  and at least take the cover off,     

Do a good visual with a good flashlight,   but it sounds like it is not electrical,    it is just allowing the sound to transfer so it sounds like it is coming from the outlet itself,     when it could be a pipe banging  up between studs and transmitting down to the outlet AREA,   

OIf you are the least concerned with it being electrical,   get an electrician right away,  I just suffered a cord on a coffee maker short out and burn my house severely    back in January and it is still not rebuilt     still in a rental house,    so you don't want to fuss with anything electrical,    but again if it is off,      it may not be electrical,    or it could be that something else electrical is popping  like the pipe   and coming from that outlet area,     

If the house is 3 years old,  it is a shame,   these new houses anymore are built with no care at all,      if the builder is still in town,   that is who I would contact,      he has the drawings,   has electricians and plumbers and    if he is worth a damn    will take care of the problem no matter what it is,          if it is something done when the house was built,     

I could come up with a long list of probable noises  something like a vent banging in the attic and traveling the sound down the studs,   just impossible to guess from here without seeing it,         but try the builder,         he should have the complete scheme and be able to narrow it down in no time,   plus it is 3 years old,  you should shame him into repairing it if it is indeed something caused during construction,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt

Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc www.emrrepair.com More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. repair@mearservice.com from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,

Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri wbabbitt@jciind.com Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. About.com provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............

10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses