Electrical Wiring in the Home/RE: fan speed is too low (10-20-12)

Thanks for the reply, Greg. By the time we had read your response, we had already changed the remote battery, taken off the blades, dismantled the fan housing, and turned the little screw the max clockwise. Incoming voltage was okay (for what we could check); couldn't check capacitor.  Put the heavy dude back up (high ceiling) & no difference. Tho't it was the remote bz had to press button 10-15x to get fan to turn at all. By chance, however, discovered the remote controlled a totally different fan in the house just fine, and the remote controls lights on/off and dims lights. Seems to be the fan speed control.  Could be the fan capacitor, except for being unresponsive to remote (that has now checked out okay).  Now we are wondering about the receiver inside the fan or something else. About ready to give up on the fan.

BTW, about 1-2 yrs ago I was having problems with intermittent power power on a house circuit, and you advised to check all the outlets on the circuit because one could be the wiring "hub" for all the rest of the outlets on that circuit. I had no clue that my house wiring would be like that, but I guess it is (was) standard procedure.  I found an outlet behind a door that showed just a hint of brown discoloration on the face but was about half burned up inside.  I sent a photo, it was bad!  I replaced with 20A outlet and ran two new circuits to the room for the computer equipment. No problem since. I had told my son about this, and some months ago he had some friends who were describing a similar problem, and he told them about my experience.  Sure enough, they looked and found a brown stained outlet face and a burned up outlet inside.  You just may have prevented two house fires.  Thanks, Greg!

The next step would be to bypass the remote receiver and see if that makes a difference.
While you are up there bypassing the receiver you should check for the voltage that is going to the fan.  Make sure it is 108 to 120 volt.

If bypassing the receiver makes the fan turn correctly you know it is the receiver.
If it doesn't, then you have to look at the fan parts, maybe the fan speed control or maybe the capacitor.

Glad to help!
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.