Electrical Wiring in the Home/2-up box with single switch



I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel where we closed off part of the room that contains the tub and shower. The original light and fan layout was a 2 up box that contained a switch for the fan and another for the light in a 2-up box. I have moved switches to the new partition for the lights and fan. Now I am left with a 2-up box with only a single switch in it. I would like to avoid reworking the drywall to replace the 2-up box with a single. Rather, I would like to find an adapter that centers a single light switch in a 2 up box and a switch cover that allows a single switch to be centered in a 2-up box. I have searched and not found anything. Photo shows what I am working with. Any assistance would be appreciated!



The problem is mounting the switch in the center.

There are plates that have a switch on one side and the other is blank.

You could take a blank cover and cut the hole out for the switch.

You could take a double cover and put a night light on one side so it looks like you intended to do that.

I found this site that has what you may be looking for:
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Greg Hughes


Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.


34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.