You are here:

Electrical Wiring in the Home/2 broken TV's since I tinkered with the circuit


I added a new receptacle and a light switch to control it to an existing circuit. This circuit has the TV on it. The only thing plugged into the new outlet is a lamp with a 7.5w light bulb. After everything was done, I tested the outlet with one of those things you plug in that has three lights, not a multimeter. It showed that everything was good.
I put everything away, came upstairs, and was sitting at the computer when I heard a pop. I thought it was a something that fell over downstairs. I went and checked but everything was ok. When I came back upstairs there was a funny smell coming from the TV, which had been off the whole time. I tried to turn the TV on but only got the green light on the bottom. I checked the fuse inside the TV and it is fine.
I figured that the TV had gone bad and planned on getting a new one. In the mean time I replaced the outlet that the TV was plugged into and got a new surge protector.
Tonight we came home with a new TV, plugged it in, and had it on for about 3 minutes when we heard another pop and the TV went out.  Now it won't turn on just like the other one.
I checked the neutral and ground lines with a multimeter and got a reading of 3.5v on the outlet the TV was in. The new outlet I added also showed 3.5.

My questions are:
Is the problem the 3.5v on the ground wire frying the TV?
Did I do something wrong on the new outlet that is messing up the TV?

-The TV's were both plugged into surge protectors with the Playstation and Directv box (they still work fine).
-I plugged in an old 27" tube TV and it didn't have any problems.
-The circuit is 15 amp that has 2 lamps and 4 simple ceiling lights on it besides the TV and new outlet.
-Everything worked since I moved in 4 years ago until I put in the new outlet and switch.
-I double checked the wiring in the new outlet and switch and they are fine.

My solution is to just remove what I added but would like to keep it if i could.

Thanks for the help, Adam.

Hi Adan,

This could be a simple coincidence. It is odd that the only thing damaged is the TV. The TV could be the most sensitive device you have. I think you need to call in an electrician to look over this. You could have a problem with the voltage on the neutral. It would make sense to have that checked out before you go through any more TVs.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bill Lutz


Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.


My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.

©2016 All rights reserved.