Electrical Wiring in the Home/20 amp outlets

Question
I replaced 2 15 amp outlets in the outlets on the outside of my house with 20 amp outlets. This is causing the 20 amp gfci in my bathroom to trip. my house was built in 93' and I have 200 amp service panel. The main breaker supplies an outlet in the bathroom (the 20amp gfci), the two outdoor outlets and one in the garage. The main breaker is a square D that says 10,000 ACI 120/240V. I would guess that this is a 15amp breaker. Nothing is plugged into any of these outlets and it still trips the 20amp gfci. how do I correct this problem?

Answer
Hi.

You may have a wire touching something it shouldn't.  Try disconnecting what you did, then try it. Put the outlets back one at a time. This will narrow down the problem.  Make sure that the power coming in connects to the line side of the GFCI, and the wire going to the other outlets is connected on the load side.

While this would not cause it to trip, make sure you have 12 gauge wire for the 20 amp outlets. If the breaker has a 15 on it, you should not use 20 amp outlets.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle