Electrical Wiring in the Home/bathroom wiring

Question
I am renovating my bathroom and had to move light switch that was powered by an outlet.  The outlet ran power to a light, and to the master bedroom outlets.  Here's my problem, when I have the power running to the light, and to the outlets in the bedroom, they work.  When I run the power to start at the outlet, then to the light switch, then to the other plugs, I trip the breaker.  What could I be doing wrong?

Answer
Hi.

If you are running power from the outlet, to the switch, then to other outlets, here is how it should be wired:

Power coming in black goes to black wire to the outlets, and also to one screw of the switch.  All white wires connect together.  Black wire going to the light connect to the other screw on the switch. All grounds connect together.  Notice that the white wires do not connect to the switch.  I am assuming that you have all the wires in the switch box: coming in, going out, and to the light.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle