Electrical Wiring in the Home/connect wiring

Question
I have existing baseboard heaters in the house and want to add 1 more. I ran 10-2 wire in the wall for the new heater. I went to tap into the existing wiring at a nearby junction box and realized that the existing wire is 10-3. Both wiring is 600 volts. Is it possible to connect to this wire or do I have to run a new line all the way to the basement?

Answer
Hi.

There are a lot of things to check before you connect them together.  All the heaters together have to be under the amperage of the breaker, and under the amperage of the wire. You also have to make sure that the voltage is the same.  The heaters would either be 120 or 240. (600 volts is the maximum the wire is rated for).

I don't know why they would use 10-3. Whether the heaters are 120 or 240 volts, 2 conductors plus the ground is normal.  10-3 is used for dryers which have both 120 and 240 volt components.  Heaters have only one component. To get amperage, divide the wattage by the voltage.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle