Electrical Wiring in the Home/GFCI tripped to bathroom circuit

Question
The GFCI for the master bath outlets was just replaced last week)(after Sandy 12 day outage. The new one is now off, and won't reset. I've looked at the two outlets in the bath and the GFCI itself, no noticeable loose wires, nothing touching boxes. Tested for continuity, and it's reading open. So no short showing up. I'm totally stumped, please help.

Answer
Hi.

The GFCIs usually goes to the outdoor outlets too.  So, check them for any water damage.  You may want to replace the outlets, even if they look good.

If that does not fix it, make sure that the power coming in goes to the line, and the wires going to the other outlets go to the load on the GFCI.  You can disconnect the load, and see if it works.  You can go outlet by outlet disconnecting the load to narrow down where the problem is.

Another option is to replace every outlet with a GFCI, and connect everything to the line side.  This way, the only thing that can trip the GFCI is what is plugged into it.  But make sure every outlet is replaced, including any outside, the garage, basement, crawl space, etc.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle