Electrical Wiring in the Home/Hot tub wiring

I've replaced two relay switches, air switch, and 2 GFCI breakers. Somewhere along the line I hooked something up wrong. Now when I turn on the breaker switch the heater starts running with now water going through, causing it to quickly overheat and kick or burn out the gfci. It is a Hercules comercial duty series 5000. Not sure if this is in your field but anything would help at this time.

Donny   What was the problem in the first place,  you were obviously trying to get something to work that didn't.

With the limited information  I can at least guess,    if the breaker is switched on and the heater starts running right away,   then somehow the incoming power is by passing the control circuit,      which would allow the heater to go full blast,     but even at full blast   the gfci should be able to handle the amperage of high heat,      there should not be enough inrush current on a resistive load,   like a motor,  or other inductive load,  to cause the current to go so high it burns out an outlet,       

Considering this is a hot tub,  if you lack the meters and tools to measure and trace,  I would seriously suggest you find a reputable electrician to make sure the tub is wired properly and remains safe,      by the time you burn out a few GFCI outlets,  it would pay for a service call,       

I appreciate that people do try and do try to learn,   but on something like this,   and as serious as it sounds,    I would find a way to pay the electrician,      most complex electrical DIY projects where there is a need for diagnostics,   it takes at least a decent VOM,  and a clamp on ammeter,  to measure the running current,       

Long shot guess,   if perhaps the wiring is through the control circuit,   and it is OK,  if the heating elements were wired in parallel versus series,  that would cause a very heavy electrical load,     but I have no prints,  or diagrams to help with all that,        A good electrician should be able to diagnose this in not much time,   and save the cost of burnt parts and possible other dangerous problems,      

I was an auto mechanic for decades,  and now days, because I have not kept on the complex nature of automobiles,   I have to pay the piper,    don't like it,  but some things are just not DIY type projects,          

If you want to write me,  and maybe some photos,   and maybe a photo of a wiring diagram,  I could look that all over,  and MAYBE  spot something,     but something failed in the beginning   so has that problem been identified?   Maybe you didn't hook something wrong,    maybe the heaters are grounded, or wiring is grounded,   or a contactor is stuck,     so many possible issues,      but if you want to try by giving me history,  and some kind of diagram,  we might get somewhere,       but it would have to be absolute,   because your safety is worth way more than the cost of a service call,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt

Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc www.emrrepair.com More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. repair@mearservice.com from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,

Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri wbabbitt@jciind.com Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. About.com provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............

10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses