Electrical Wiring in the Home/Main Panel/Circuit-Breaker Issue

Question
Hey Robert,

In trouble-shooting and repairing a problem in my electrical system, I discovered a breaker that had failed so badly that it burnt/eroded the neutral post on the main panel (for that specific breaker which is no longer usable). I have since evaluated/repaired the wiring, receptacles, etc. and moved the panel wiring to a newly-installed breaker and all seems well. My question is: Is there a problem with leaving an "opening" (i.e. no breaker) in the middle of my electrical panel?

-BF

Answer
If I understand what you are saying, that is not the neutral [intentionally grounded conductor] that burned up
Breakers plug onto the "hot" [ungrounded] bus

Install a panel blank in the cover to prevent intrusion into energized areas of the panel.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber