Electrical Wiring in the Home/NEMA L14-30R

Question
Greetings and thank you for your help...I bought a house with a six circuit transfer switch already installed and now I am thinking about purchasing a generator...my plan is to install a PB-50 weather tight box on the outside of the house, punch through the basement wall next to the transfer switch and install another PB-50...then make up a two foot female to female 10/3 w/ ground jumper...my questions are: 1) does it matter which side of the L14-30R I connect the respective hot legs? Phase being my concern and 2) do you see any problems with this design? My intuition tells me that since its all down stream of the main panel that the phase is not an issue but I just need a little hand holding here.

Thanks.

tb

Answer
Thomas,

From the description of what you want to do here it sounds like the 6 circuit transfer switch already has a 4 wire male twist locking plug built into it. Not all of them do.

The cable from the outside PB-50 should go directly into the 6 circuit transfer switch. Even if it already has a twist locking plug built into it just remove it, blank the hole, and connect the wires from the cable coming from the PB-50 outside to the same wires the the plug was connected to. White to white, green to green (or bare) black to black and red to red. This is faster, simpler, better, easier and cheaper than doing it the way you proposed.

As to "phasing" its really about having the loads "balanced" between the two "hot" legs in the panel. In other words you don't want your heavy users of power such as the refrig, sump pump, freezer, ac, etc all on the red leg or all on the black leg. Try to balance half on the red and the other half on the black. This way you won't over load either of the two "hot" legs coming from the generator. In other words 3 of the circuits in the transfer switch will be on the red leg and 3 will be on the black. Know which circuits in the panel are connected to the red or the black so you can distribute your loads accordingly. When you have utility power this is usually not an issue because you have plenty of power but when you have a small generator as you do with not that much power
this becomes an important consideration.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman