Electrical Wiring in the Home/Pole light problem

Question
Hi!  I have a pole light that is controlled by a switch inside.  We had a photocell installed on the pole light.  We leave the switch on so the light will go on and off on its own.  The light has worked properly for four years.

Last week when Hurricane Sandy came through with high winds, the light went out.  We changed the bulb thinking it had just blown out.  But now at dark when I flip the switch on inside, the light lights up but within 10 seconds goes out.  If I turn the switch off and then on again, it does the same thing.  We tried a new bulb again, but the same thing happens.  

So it appears the bulbs are on and there is power to the light pole, so we are stumped.  Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks so much!

Answer
Amy,

It could be the photo cell, if you disconnect it and wire straight through to the light and it works then you know it was the photo cell.

I don't know what kind of light you have but if its florescent or an HID type light (High pressure sodium) that has a ballast then the ballast could be the problem.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman