Electrical Wiring in the Home/Power at light

Question
Hi hope you can help i installed a small pull switch on a cfl light fitting fed from a photocell.When i put my tester to the incoming side it read 220 volts it should read zero in the daytime to prove my point i connected a small globe to the supply and it came on however the cfl fitting did not come on, that night the light did come on i am stumped as to why there is 220v everything is working fine any advice you could give give would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Larry

Answer
You can't just put a tester to one point and get a voltage reading. Voltage is the difference in potential between two points. What two points give you a voltage difference of 220 volts? South Africa uses the European model, probably based on a 230/400 volt WYE.

Also, be aware that if you are trying to learn electricity by reading info from the USA that we use a different voltage gradient in our residential distribution system. We also use a single phase distribution model to power residences.

Why would it read zero in the daytime?
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber