Electrical Wiring in the Home/Question about Transfer Switch on a generator

Question
QUESTION: Hi Will,

I have a 10,500 starting, 7,500 running generator and a reliance 10 circuit transfer switch that was professionally installed and working properly.

My question is can I (meaning a professional electrician) add more circuits (lights and outlets mostly) to the transfer switch? On the 110v switches I currently have lights/outlets on a couple switches; my microwave has its own switch, fridge and 2 outlets on another switch. As far as the 220v switches go, I have 2 baseboard heat units connected, and my water pump.

I really wanted my water pump and water heater on the two 220v switches if thatís possible to do? And can I add more lights/outlets to already wired 110v transfer switches?
I ultimately want my generator to run as much of the house as possible. I am not even coming close to half capacity on my generator. My current generator usage is only 25-30% (I know this due to LCD panel on generator) with everything running except the baseboard heating. Water pump, fridge, microwave do not run all the time as you know. With everything listed above and two baseboard heating units on 80 degrees, the generator runs at 60%. I would give up my baseboard heating for the water pump (I think its 30amp, probably why itís not already wired to my transfer switch) and get a portable electric heater to warm us up instead while on generator power)

Is there a way to convert 30 amps to work on my transfer switch? Or is there a way to directly plug in the water heater to the generator or something similar to this setup so I can have the water heater working when the power is out?

Thanks so much for the help with all of this!!

ANSWER: Mike,   Well you don't have all of this,  you have what you have,  you understand the start rating is for devices like electric motors, and so on,  that have a high inrush to deal with,   

It is pretty much the same as sizing breakers part science part experience,    I didn't see anything in your questions that would cause a problem    what you obviously don't want is to have everything on, and then turn on some motor load that brings the total circuit above rating, but an electrician who knows how to size this kind of thing, can give you options and a bit of "slop"  so everything will be within tolerances,     

What you need left with everything on, is the start up power to turn on inductive loads,   that rating is not constant duty, unless it is an entire resistive load,        so he or she will watch the motor loade and let you add whatever you want,     it is just a matter of keeping it all under the parameters, and it sounds like you are way under,   

QUESTION: Thanks for the response Will.

Just to make this clear, I can or can't connect my water heater to my transfer switch or directly to my generator? Everything was clear except this. I understand starting and running power. I understand not overloading my unit.

I just need to know how to connect/if possible my water heater to my reliance 10 circuit transfer switch. Or directly to my generator. I will not be doing the work. I just want to know if its possible and a little info on how so I can properly explain it to my electrician.

Transfer switch has 6 switches at 110v and 2 switches at 220v.

Thanks so much!!

Answer
Sorry  I guess I didn't catch that,     most hot water heaters are on a dedicated circuit,   I see no problem going through the switch,     you have room,     it is not one of the instant type heaters is it?

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/FAQtransfersws.html

Instead of me writing all this out,  here is a little blog that nicely lists the transfer switch types and capacities,     I think this should answer any and all questions in a chart form,  if not let me know,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt