Electrical Wiring in the Home/Range Hood Wiring


I have removed my range hood in order to install an over-the-range-microwave.  I believe the wires from the hood lead to
an outlet in the cabinet above. This house is only 7 years old
and a dedicated outlet for a microwave was supposed to be
wired into the original house plan. There is actually a circuit
breaker that is marked MICROWAVE in the panel.  Upon turning this
breaker off, it did turn off the light on the range hood.
My questions are,
what do I do with the wires coming out of the wall from the hood? I can see the electrical cable they come from.
Am I to assume this is a splice from the box above in the cabinet?
I suspect these wires need to be capped off but do I need to install a box to house them in the wall or should I try to push the cable that contains them into the electrical box in the cabinet above?


You are most likely correct the wires and cable come from the box in the cabinet. That box is removeable where you could extract the cable that went to the hood and pull it out completly then reset the box in the cabinet. Doing it this way you are guarnteed removing the correct cable which is really the best way to do it. Otherwise you could just snip the wires off in the box with out removing it just make sure your snipping the right cable. Then just tape and leave the cable in the wall. But I always try to remove unused disconnected cables whenever possible.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured


Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.