Electrical Wiring in the Home/Re-wiring Basement Fluorescent lights

Question
First, thank you for volunteering to help us rookies out. It's appreciated.
Circumstance: I have some lights I'm putting on a 20amp circuit that will be used only for lighting. Overkill? Perhaps. I'm using 12-2 Romex. The lights are 2-lamp T8F32 1x4ft lights and there will be 6 of them plus an outlet. The basement is dry-wall free so I have lots of lee-way. Between the switch and the lights on the ceiling are I beams running both front-to-back and side-to-side.
Question: Is there a better way to install the 12-2 wiring than to simply staple it to the joists or run it through holes that I create?
Reason: The reason I ask is that I've heard, never seen, someone running wiring along the I beam and somehow securing it to the beam. If there is another/better way, it would be great to learn it.
Again, thank you for your help and guidance.
Nathan

Answer
Stapling in your situation seems to be the best way to do it. There are staples that have a plastic sleeve to protect the wire.

You need the wire to be tight, not drooping, and you need it far enough away from the floor above and the ceiling so a nail/screw does not reach it.

In an attic, a raceway is often used. It is a board laid across and the wires are laid on it, but that would not help you because there is a floor above your basement.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes