Electrical Wiring in the Home/Remodel can project

I'm placing 8 cans in a family room, and was hoping to wire them into the existing double pole switches that currently control two outlets.

But in assessing the circuit I realize I have to tap into a different circuit (one outlet, dedicated for computer use, but no longer used for that, so an ideal circuit for the new lights).

My question is how can I put my lights on this other circuit and yet control them with the switches that control the outlets on a different circuit?  I'm happy to simply sever the switches from the outlets, which will soon be covered by built in bookcases. I haven't read anything that indicates how to do this safely.

Thanks so much.

Your Outlet has a black and white wire connected to either side of it.  The black and white wire gives the Outlet 120v  all the time.  You want to run a black and white wire from the outlet to the switch bringing 120 V to the switch-box. You then run a black and white wire to the lights you're trying to power. If you were to match all the blacks and whites up the lights would go on all the time. To control it with a switch you want to wire a switch in between the two blacks in the switch-box.  The switch simply opens and closes the connection of the two black wires turning the lights on and off.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.