Electrical Wiring in the Home/Stove connections

Question
I have recently bought a cabin in Georgia that came with a stove but not the electrical cord. I bought a used cord, 4 prong, and hooked it up as I thought it should be (red on red, black on black, white on white, and the ground right above the white and seems connected to the white via a copper connection. When I plug it into the 4 prong receptacle, it trips one of the two breakers even before I turn on the stove. As a result, the stove gives only a warm heat, ditto the oven.

What am I doing wrong? Can it be that the used wire I purchased is faulty?

Answer
It could be that the cord is faulty, the oven has a short, the outlet has a short, or the wiring is not conventional.

Typically; Red and Black are hot, white is neutral, and copper/green is ground.

You need to verify this with a voltmeter.

To check the cord you will need an ohm meter.

If you have a digital multimeter you can perform both checks.

At the oven, (with the cord unplugged) you will want to check ohms between black to neutral/ground, and red to neutral/ground.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes