Electrical Wiring in the Home/submersible well pump wiring

Question
friend has a submersible well pump that does not run. It has no power to the pump connection and no power to the pressure switch. The pressure switch has 2 wires to it as does the pump. No breakers are tripped in panel and all breakers have voltage off of them. How is the circuit wired? Does the feed go to the pressure switch first? If so why is there only 2 wires to the switch? Is there another location with a contactor or relay that is wired to the pressure switch and than to the pump? Did not find any but water tank and pressure switch are in the attic (because of water table problem)but no voltage there.
Thank you

Answer
First, let me say I cannot image what you guys are going through with the storm damage and our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Typically, and according to the NEC, you should have some sort of disconnect means at the pump house.
It could be as simple as a switch on the wall (looks like a light switch), or it could be an outdoor rated disconnect (like you see at air conditioners). And it may even be a fused disconnect, but does not have to be fused since you have a circuit breaker.

So that would be the first thing to look for.

There are only two wires at the pressure switch because they are only "switching" one leg. So you would need to read voltage from one connection to ground or to the other leg.
If you are reading voltage across those two wires you will not get a reading.

Let me know what you find.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes