Electrical Wiring in the Home/Switch/light wiring

Question
Bob, I have one switch (single pole) to operate two lights.  Brought power into light switch and BOTH light wires (12/2) into switch box as well (total three sets of wires).  Have Black power wire on lower switch screw, all white wires tied together, all grounds together and grouned to switch, and all blacks tied in together with "jumper wire" from upper screw on switch.  When I turn breaker back on the one light is on constantly and one light operates with switch.  To make the light that is always on work off the switch as well do I need to utilize its neutral (white wire as the upper screw connection or how do I make both lights operate on the switch?  Do I need to re-wire? or put in a double switch box so each light operates on it's own switch?  Thank You.

Answer
Hi.

The black power wire coming in needs to go to one screw on each switch. The black wire from one light goes to the remaining screw. Same for the other night and other switch.  All white wires together.  If this does not work, then something came loose.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle