Electrical Wiring in the Home/The switch at my wall socket will not switch off.

I noticed earier today that my dryer had stopped working mid-cycle - it just cut off.  I went to turn it off at the plug, only to notice that the switch is stuck in the 'on' position, and will not turn off.  
I turned the dryer back on, and it started working again, but when I went back to check on it, the wall socket and the plug had got hot.  I immediately unplugged the dryer, but cannot turn off the switch!  
What's wrong with it?  I don't dare use the socket again.

I do not think the problem is in the socket, it appears to be in the dryer control. It probably ran until the plug and socket got hot. I would have the dryer control replaced and try it then and keep an eye on the socket feeling it during the cycle to make sure it works normally. Thanks J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook

General electrical wiring, including but not limited to, residential, panelboards, control wiring, low voltage wiring, Heating and A/C control wiring, single and three phase wiring.

I have been doing electrical since high school. I have been licensed by the State of North Carolina for ten years and am currently the Building Maintenance Superintendent for a municipality. I have extensive control wiring experience.

Refrigeration Service Engineers Society.