Electrical Wiring in the Home/vanity light wiring

Question
I am wiring a vanity light. I have two sets of wiring coming out of the wall. Each set of wiring out of the wall has a white sheath covering with a black and a white wire coming out of the sheath. The vanity light simply has one small black wire and one small white wire. I hooked all black together and all white together and it blew the fuse. What would be the correct way to connect the wires? If you need pics of our wiring we can get them for you.

Answer
Hi.

One cable is the switch leg.  Carefully test the wires to see which one has power in it. The OTHER cable is the switch leg. Put black tape on the white wire. It is the hot wire. Connect the black power coming in to the wire with tape on it.  Connect the remaining black wires together. Connect the remaining white wires together.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle