Electrical Wiring in the Home/wiring

Question
I have an existing ceiling fan attached to a switch using a 3 way wire. The switch controls the light only. Fan turns on and off using pull chain. i want to install a high hat light jumping off the power  to the fan and also  control the fan and light separately  using two switches. What would be the proper way this can be done?

Answer
Hi.

To run another switch for the fan, run the cable to the fan. At the fan, one wire goes to the black power supply, the other wire to the black fan wire. (Put black tape on the white wire to show it is a hot wire.) Connect one wire to each switch screw.

For the other lights, do you want them on with the fan light? If so, just run the cable and connect them to the same wires that connect to the fan light.  If you want a separate switch, connect the cable to the cable that brings the power into the fan.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle