Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring a portable generator

Hello Greg,

I recently bought a Reliance 31406CRK Pro/Tran Transfer switch and a All-Power 6000 Watt APGG6000 portable generator.  

The transfer switch has an L14 4 wire outlet and extension cord.  My generator does not have a L14 socket.  My generator has 1 - L5 outlet and 4 - Ru-22 outlets.

Can you tell me if there is any way to wire them together, maybe some sort of converter cable?

Thank you.

Chris Eaton

Transfer switch

The difference in these is that one is 4-prong and one is 3-prong.

The 4-prong means the ground and neutral should be kept separate.
The 3-prong means there is no ground.

On your generator you do not have a separate ground so it uses a 3-prong cord.

All you need to do is remove the end off the cord for your generator and install a L14 end, then you will run a ground wire from the end (where the ground connects) to the house ground.

I recommend driving a ground rod and connecting the ground to the rod, but it is your choice.

Then when you are done you unplug the cord from the transfer switch and disconnect the ground at the ground rod.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.