Electrical Wiring in the Home/3 b;acks/3 whites

In respect to your first answer, there is no switch - just sockets controlled by the circuit breaker, though the CB also controls a fan over the stove on the other side of the kitchen that i suspect was separately wire to the CB. Does this help? Can I test what is going on with an electric tester?

I'm changing all of the sockets in the kitchen just for color. I've done most of them. All had one black and one white and a ground. Then I cam to one with 3 blacks and 3 whites (each connected to the non-screw type socket with 2 wired in one connector and one in the other) plus a ground. It looks like they are connected to sockets in the adjoining dining room. I didn't know how to deal with them, so I asked and pretty much got the answer of adding a pig tail to all 3 blacks and another to the whites, which I did with a wire nut and the plug works, but a couple of the other sockets aren't working though a couple are.

I'm suspecting that I may not have done a good job in connecting the 4 wires with the wire nut (it was hard to push the wires back in and the first time i did the socket  didn't work so I saw the whites weren't tight and just pushed them more together and the socket worked as noted above) , but in retrospect, perhaps I should have kept the 2/1 configuration and used a pigtail with the 2. Before going back in to tighten the wire nuts or try to reconfigure the 2 by 1 set-up - I didn't mark them so it would there are 9 combinations I'd need to try, I thought I'd ask.

Also, I turned off the circuit breaker for the socket, but still got a mild shock from a black wire (I may have inadvertently touched it while also touching a white wire or other metal - I got more careful, and only touched them with pliers with rubber handles thereafter, and didn't get any more shocks). My question here is, are the black still live even if one turns off the circuit breaker (if not, it is possible that I turned off the wrong circuit breaker at one point)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Following is the reason:

Unfortunately, I would need to know where the wires go to, to tell you how to wire them. I don't know if they go to a switch, or if you have a split circuit.  If you have a split circuit, then connecting everything together could cause a 220 volt short circuit.

As far as getting a shock, there may be more than one circuit in the box, or the white wire may go to more than one circuit, which could cause feedback on the black.

If there are no switches, and you are pretty sure there aren't two circuits (the tabs would be broken between the screws), then most likely all of the blacks connect together, and all of the whites connect together. Probably a wire nut problem, as you suspect.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.