Electrical Wiring in the Home/adding ceiling light to family room w/a switched receptable (n0 existing wires)

Question
Hello Bob
I wish to add a chandelier in the family room no wires on the
ceiling just 2 switched receptable that control the box where was plugged a lamp.I oppened the box and I saw 2 white wires
2 black wires 1 red wire and the ground wire.
I ran a cable NM14/2 to the ceiling and directly long the wall to the box. Could you please help me to find how to connect to the box,Do I need to change the cable and use NM12/3 with the red
wire? Your reply is greatly appreciated thank you,

David

Answer
Most likely (if the electrician followed standard wiring), the red wire and the white wire would give you a switched line.  The black wire and the white wire would give you a line that is on all the time.

So, if you want the light on the switch, connect white to white; and black going to the fixture to the red wire in the box.  grounds to grounds.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle